first off, let's start with record stores!
- reckless records. with two locations, they are definately one of the
best used records stores in chicago... tons of lps and indie stuff!! chicago is an expensive town, it's
easy to pay lots even for used stuff. you'll find them in:
- belmont (walk east on belmont then south on halsted st. off belmont el stop on the red line)
- davis st. in evanston (walk east off the davis el stop on the purple line)
- the dummy room. off of grand ave. i don't know how to get there by the el. mostly all punk selections, very little indie...
- dr. wax. i know there are a few locations, but the one in evanston
is a little over priced and they are mean... but sometimes good stuff can be found there....
it's on sherman ave.
i know there is more good ones out there... i'll find them and addresses soon i promise!!!
clubs, clubs, clubs and more clubs!
alrighty! there are many many clubs in chicago...
the only problem is that there is literally nothing for the under
all ages or 18+
- the fireside bowl... 2646 w. fullerton.. it's dinky, but all the good punk bands play
here... it's on fullerton between ashland and western... to get there by el
is pretty easy (as long as you don't go to the southside)... get off on the
california stop on the northwest end of the blue line and walk left one block
and turn right on fullerton and it'll be to your left... the price is usually around
- the metro... 3730 n. clark.... located on clark off the addison stop on the red line... a large venue for small, unknown bands... price is more expensive,
usually between $10-$25... it's a nice size club though...
- the vic... another nice sized venue off the belmont stop (go west it's right on the corner)... a little bigger than metro, but really nice..
- the riviera... 4746 n. racinebig popular shows come here... it sucks.. off the lawrence red line stop..
- the aragon ballroom... this is where the even bigger, more popular bands come and sucks even more than the riv... not that i haven't seen good shows at both, i have... just don't expect much out of bands there...
you have sooo much to choose from, that i'll just give you the basic bests...
- the lounge ax ... if the good punk indie bands aren't playing the firesdie, they are probably playing here... it's found at 2438 n. lincoln..
- double door... 1572 milwaukee...
- beat kitchen... 2100 w. belmont...
- cubby bear... 1059 w. addison.... off addison stop.
- the empty bottle... 1035 n. western... shows usually start at 10pm.
- elbo room.. 2871 n. lincoln
check here for show listings and other music information: centerstage music